Hobbies work on multiple levels to keep you happier and healthier. They help you pass the time. They engage you in doing things you love. And some offer you a sense of purpose, which is something everyone needs. Here are other benefits to taking up a pastime you love.
- Boost your immune system. It’s no secret that physical activity can increase your longevity and help prevent chronic illnesses like heart disease, diabetes, and even some types of cancer. If your hobbies involve movement, you’re doing something to improve your quality of life and increase your lifespan.
- Increase your flexibility. Hobbies that involve movement help stretch muscles, keep ligaments lubed and improve flexibility.
- Improve your memory. If you practice hobbies that use your problem-solving skills and challenge your thinking, that mental stimulation can help stave off diseases such as dementia.
- Lower stress. It almost goes without saying that doing something you enjoy lowers your stress and takes your mind off your troubles.
- Boost your self esteem. Hobbies that involve helping others can increase your feelings of self-worth and your attitude.
- Improve sleep quality. Being active helps you get a better night’s sleep. Just be sure to wind down a few hours before bedtime.
Ideally, choose hobbies that combine all three levels of satisfaction to build healthy habits that last you a lifetime.