Hard to believe that a tiny little single-celled creature that swims in the sea can be the key to so much, yet that’s the story with marine phytoplankton. Known more commonly as algae, these little creatures produce as much as 60% of the earth’s oxygen.
They’re an essential source of nutrients, feeding everything from the krill that sustain the ocean’s whales to the seaweed that wraps your favorite sushi. Even the omega-3 fatty acids in fish have their origin in the algae they eat.
The gelatinous compounds secreted by algae have real skincare benefits, from stabilizing the minerals that aid skin moisture, to fighting acne without irritation. Here’s how algae helps your skin:
- Algae is rich in Omega3 fatty acids, which helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and fight skin issues like eczema.
- Algae provides antioxidant properties that fight free radical damage that causes early aging.
- Algae helps produce elastin and collagen, which are essential for firmer skin.
- Algae regulates sebum production for moisturizing and preventing acne.
- Algae is loaded with vitamins and minerals.
These benefits are due to algae’s ability to protect themselves from the harsh ocean habitat. Algae have evolved powerful protection that insulates them from temperature, chemical and pH variations. To do so, they create polysaccharides via photosynthesis using little more than sunlight, CO2 and seawater.
By carefully isolating, extracting and purifying these polysaccharides, Derma9 combines the benefits of algae into a single ingredient called Algacell.
Fully sustainable and renewable, Algacell is truly one of the most revolutionary skincare breakthroughs. It provides the skincare benefits we’ve just mentioned. It’s free of reagents, detergents and solvents. Plus, our algae production process is carbon negative, meaning it uses more CO2 than it produces. Which means you get the benefits of algae, without unwanted extras — and while doing something good for the environment. It’s a win-win.