We took a look at what several respected aestheticians believe leads to flawless skin. Some of their recommendations were unusual, even quirky (raw oysters, anyone?). But here are the eight that almost everyone agreed on.
1. Avoid heavy-duty cleansers — use milks, gels and foams with natural plant-derived surfactants instead of detergents that strip the skin of beneficial bacteria and oils.
2. Use pH-balanced cleansers and exfoliators.
3. Forget about toner — if your cleanser is pH-balanced, you don’t need one. Toners tend to be drying and some can irritate you skin.
4. Avoid allergic reactions by opting for products with labels that say fragrance-free. Labels reading “unscented” still contain a modicum of fragrance.
5. Use a natural plant-based moisturizer that doubles as a sunblock (with zinc or titanium oxide).
6. Avoid sun exposure, especially on airplanes where the UV light is even more harmful. Never ever use tanning beds.
7. Do what the yogis do to enhance their circulation — get upside down.
8. Pamper yourself with a professional facial once a month. Or do your own facial with an exfoliating peel and nourishing mask.